Gobi Pakora – Cauliflower Pakoda
Cauliflower Pakoda is a simple and tasty appetizer that can be made in minutes. It is perfect with an evening tea or as a starter and definitely a crowd-pleaser. Preparing the pakoda mix is the key. When you mix the ingredients make sure the pakoda mix is not runny. It has to be separate and the cauliflower should be coated with all the spice mix and flour.
- Besan flour – 1/2 cup
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp
- Cauliflower florets – 1 cup
- Chopped Onion – 1/4 cup
- Green chili – 1 (finely chopped)
- Ginger paste – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – one string (about 8 to 10 leaves)
- Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- A pinch of red food colour (optional)
- A pinch of baking soda
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Chop cauliflower florets into small pieces, about an inch.
- Boil some water and add 1/4 tsp of salt and turmeric powder. Turn off the stove and add cauliflower florets.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain the cauliflower in a colander.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai over medium high heat.
- In a bowl combine the rest of the ingredients with cauliflower and a tbsp of hot oil.
- Mix well and sprinkle a little water if necessary. Pakoda mix is ready.
- When oil is piping hot, reduce the flame a bit and slowly add the cauliflower mixture one by one.
- Turn both the sides and fry until brown and crispy.
- Remove from oil using a spider ladle and transfer it to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat the same procedure with the rest of the cauliflower mix.
- Serve hot with chai.