Channa dal Sundal
Chana Dal Sundal is a protein rich dish served as an evening snack with tea. Sundal is prepared with different types of lentils and legumes. It is perfect for both kids and adults. It reminds me of my school days when my mom makes sundal almost every evening and serve us as soon as we come back from school with a cup of milk.
- Chana dal - 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Dried red chilies – 2
- Shredded coconut – 3/4 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Shredded carrot – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 6 leaves
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Wash chana dal and soak in water for one hour.
- Boil chana dal with enough water and cook until it becomes soft.
- When you press it hard with your fingers it should mash.
- Add salt and cook it for 5 more minutes over low heat.
- Turn off the stove and strain the dal through a colander and let it rest for sometime. You can save the strained liquid for making soups.
- Heat a pan with coconut oil add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Then add dried chilies, cooked channa dal, curry leaves, asafoetida, shredded coconut and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add the shredded carrot and coriander leaves, mix well.
- Chana dal Sundal is ready.