Kunukku is a deep fried rice and lentil fritters. My mom makes it often for tea time snack and we love it. They are very easy to make and it will be a change from the same old vada. Serve this dish with coconut chutney.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Boiled Rice – 1 cup
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Chana dal – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Chopped onions – 3/4 cup
- Curry leaves – 8 leaves
- Chopped coriader leaves - 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying (about 1.5 cups)
Method of Preparation:
- Wash both the rice and soak in water for 4 hours.
- Wash chana dal and urad dal and soak in water separately for 2 to 3 hours.
- Grind soaked rice and lentils to a coarse and thick paste.
- Transfer it to a bowl and add onions, chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves, asafoetida and salt. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan or kadai over medium high heat. Using a small spoon slowly drop a dollop of batter one by one.
- Turn both the sides and fry until it becomes golden brown.
- Kunukku is ready. Serve hot with chutney.