Multigrain Health Drink Powder also known as Sathu Maavu is a mixture of various grains, lentils, nuts and spices. All these ingredients are roasted and ground to a fine powder. This can be served either with milk and sugar or buttermilk and salt. It is very healthy and is suitable for all ages. I learnt this recipe from my mom and developed my own by adding a few more ingredients that adds more nutrition to the mix.
- Ragi - 200 g
- Wheat - 200 g
- Par boiled rice (pulungal arisi) – 100 g
- Barley – 50 g
- Pearl millet or Kambu - 200 g
- Tapiaco pearls (javvarisi or sago) – 50 g
- Whole mung bean – 200 g
- Peanuts – 2 tbsp (no skin)
- Corn - 100 g
- Almonds – 5 to 6 nos.
- Cashew nut - 5 to 6
- Dried ginger (sukku) – 1″ piece
- Cardamom - 15
- Soya beans – 2 tbsp
- Chickpea or dry garbanzo beans – 2 tbsp
- Bengal gram or chana dal – 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Heat a pan over medium heat and dry roast all the ingredients separately except cardamom and dried ginger.
- When you roast the lentils and nuts, let it change to light golden brown.
- Dry roast the grains until a nice aroma starts spreading.
- Grind all the ingredients to a fine powder. If you are making this in a large quantity, you can grind it in a commercial mill (maavu mill).
- To make the prroidge (kanji), boil a cup of milk with 1/2 cup of water and add a tbsp of the powder. Mix well without forming any lumps.
- Add a tsp of sugar and serve hot.
- Another way to serve this drink is add a tbsp of this mix to a cup of boiling water and mix well. Once it becomes warm, add buttermilk and a pinch of salt. Serve warm.