Green Chili Tomato Pickle or Milagai Thokku is a delicious and spicy condiment which can be served with curd rice or roti or idli/dosa. It takes only a few minutes to make this dish and you can store in the refrigerator for upto a month. I always prefer homemade pickles and this one is always a favorite to me.
- Chopped green chilies – 1/4 cup
- Tomato – 6
- Tamarind - one small lemon size
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Add tamarind in a cup of hot water and set it aside.
- Wash green chilies and tomatoes and cut them into small pieces separately.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and allow it splutter.
- Add green chilies and saute for 5 minutes over low to medium flame.
- Add tomatoes and cook well until fully mashed.
- Extract tamarind juice and add this to the pan along with turmeric powder and salt.
- Allow it to boil over low heat until it becomes a thick paste. Turn off the stove.
- Finally sprinkle the asafoetida powder and mix well.
- Switch off the stove.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Yield: 25o g bottle