Coconut Podi or Thengai Podi is a traditional Tam Brahm recipe. My mom makes it often and keeps it in the pantry. It is very useful when you are busy or back from a vacation or on a lazy day. You can mix it with plain rice and ghee, serve it papad (sutta appalam) or with curd rice or even with idli or dosa.
- Shredded coconut – 1 cup
- Dried chilies – 12
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Asafoetida – 2 pinches
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Heat oil in a pan and add urad dal and fry until it becomes golden brown. Transfer it to a plate.
- Separately fry dried chilies until it becomes dark brown. Transfer it to the plate.
- Now fry the shredded coconut in the same pan over low heat until it becomes light brown. Make sure it is not raw and white because it will be spoiled soon.
- Finally add the asafoetida and mix it well with the fried coconut in the pan. Allow it to cool.
- After 15 minutes , grind urad dal and dried chilies to almost a fine powder.
- Then add the fried coconut and salt and grind it well to a coarse powder (neither fine nor so coarse).
- Coconut powder is ready.