Idli or Dosa is a staple food in South India. Idli is often served as a morning breakfast and both idli and dosa are served for dinner as well. Making the batter for idli and dosa is very simple and you don’t have to worry about breakfast or a quick evening tiffin or dinner for up to a week when you have the batter on hand. You can grind the batter in wet grinder or Indian mixie (mixer grinder) or food processor or blender. It normally takes 6 to 8 hours for the batter to rise and ferment when the temperature is normal. If it is a cold weather, try to keep the batter in a warm place.
- Boiled rice – 5 cups
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and soak boiled rice in water for 3 hours.
- Wash and soak urad dal half an hour to one hour, depending on your urad dal.
- Soak fenugreek seeds separately for minimum an hour.
- Strain rice in a colander and reserve the water.
- Grind it to a fine and smooth batter adding the reserved water little at a time. I used wet grinder to grind the batter. You can use food processor or blender or Indian mixie.
- Remove the batter and transfer it to a container.
- Similarly add strained urad dal and fenugreek seeds and grind it to a smooth batter adding water.
- Transfer the batter to the same container and mix them well. Add some salt and mix again.
- Let it ferment for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Time varies depending on the local weather.
- Using the fermented batter we can make idli or dosa. Refrigerate it in an airtight container.