Kozhukattai is a popular South Indian sweet dumpling which is generally made as an offering to Lord Ganesh. On the day of Ganesh Chaturthi (birthday of Lord Ganesh), we offer this Kozhukkattai along with fruits, payasam (kheer), vada, etc. There are sweet and savory version for this dish. Today I am going to share the recipe for sweet kozhukkattai. It is filled with sweetened coconut.
- Rice flour - 2 Cups
- Shredded coconut - 3/4 Cup
- Powdered Jaggery - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom - 3 Pods
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Table Salt - A Pinch
- Water - 150 ml
- Boil 150 ml of water in a pan.
- Pour 1 tsp of coconut oil and a pinch of salt in the boiled water and turn off the stove.
- Slowly add rice flour in 3 to 4 batches stirring continuously without forming any lumps.
- Now turn on the stove and over low heat keep stirring until it leaves the sides of the pan and a thick dough is obtained. It takes about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Dough will be a little sticky. Turn off the stove.
- Add powdered jaggery in a thick bottomed vessel or kadai and add a little water (around 2 tbsp).
- When it melts, filter the jaggery syrup to get rid off dirt and pour back to the pan.
- Let it come to a boil and when it starts thickening add shredded coconut and mix well.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee and cardamom powder and mix it well till a thick soft puran is obtained.
- Roll the pooranam into small balls, size of marble.
Preparation of Kozhakattai:
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Press in the middle and make a dent and make it bigger like a cup and drop a teespoon of puran into it.
- You should make it big enough to be able to hold the puran.
- Very slowly brings the ends together over the top of the filling and tie it together to form a knot.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other balls.
- Once you are done, grease your idli plates with ghee or coconut oil.
- Arrange the kozhukattai in the idli plates and steam cook for 10 minutes (just like how you make idlis).
- Turn off the stove and remove them from the plates.
- Now the sweet kozhakattai is ready.