Ponnanganni Keerai is a nutritious green leafy vegetable used in Indian cooking. We make curry and stir fries with this greens. FYI: As far as I googled, it is known as water amaranth or dwarf copper leaf or sessile weed or gudrisag in hindi.
Today I made a simple stir fry which can be served as a side with rice and sambar or rasam or even with roti.
- Ponnangannai keerai – 2 cups
- Moong dal – 2 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1/2 tbsp
- Shredded coconut – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
1. Pick the leaves only from the stem of the ponnangannai and wash them.
2. Wash moong dal and soak in water for 15 minutes.
3. Chop the leaves into small pieces.
5. Add chopped leaves followed by soaked and drained moong dal. Allow to cook until the leaves are tender and shrunk.
6. Finally add jaggery, coconut and salt allow to cook for a few more minutes until there isno water at the bottom. Poriyal is ready to serve.
Preparation time: 30 minutes